Tuesday, February 2, 2016

To Curve or Not to Curve

Every semester, specifically around test time, students ask if I grade on a curve.  When I say no, I can almost hear the groans through the computer.  Do I go in an make adjustments to test scores?  Sometimes.  But, this is very different than grading on a curve.
I've started asking students if they wished I graded on a curve, to see if they truly grasp what a curve is.  Most who truly understand the concept of a curve say they absolutely do not want me to grade on a curve.  

Above is what a bell curve looks like.  If I were to grade on a true curve, I would adhere to this graph... That would mean out of a class of 30, about 5 of you would make A's, 5 of you would make F's, and the majority of you would make C's.  Who's down for making a C in the class, even though you still managed to 'earn' 85% of the total points for the class?  If we were to follow the curve, those of you earning 70% of points for the class would likely fall into the F category.  Clear as mud, right?  

Basically, in normal shaped curve, for every A, there is an F assigned.  For every B, there is a D.  I highly doubt students would favor this grading method.  I know I wouldn't have liked it when I was in school.  

What students often refer to as a curve is actually a linear shift - where everyone receives the same number of points to help raise scores to a certain level.  

Lot's of natural occurrences fall on a curve.  Height (we have some abnormally short people and some abnormally tall people), IQ, weight... However, this doesn't exactly work out in most students favor as far as grades are concerned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment