Sunday, January 10, 2016

Biological Foundations of Behavior

Biological Foundations of Behavior
Oh my!  These modules bring back memories... PANIC memories!  Don't get me wrong, the material is absolutely fascinating!  Every time I review it, I am in awe at how awesome our brains and bodies are.  It's mind blowing!  It's also tough to grasp on your first exposure.  It's on such a micro level; it was initially difficult for me to wrap my thoughts around.  To be honest, it took several exposures until I wasn't sitting in class with that hot, sweaty, oh-my-goodness-I'm-going-to-fail feeling.  Seriously, I remember sitting in my physiopsych class (my senior year of my undergraduate degree) wondering if I should change my major.  
It is really important to read the text, as this is where all your quiz and exam questions are pulled from.  However, before reading the text, I highly recommend checking out some of the supplemental videos I've posted.  If those aren't enough, feel free to Google other videos (there are lots out there!).  For me, it was helpful to see a visual prior to reading about how it all works.  You may need to read the text in small bits and allow yourself some time to absorb the information.  Then, if time permits, go back and re-read the text.  This isn't exactly easy reading, but it is interesting and really important to the field of psychology.  
Good luck!  In my opinion this is one of the hardest weeks of the class... And also one of the most interesting.  Absorb (much like how neurotransmitters are absorbed across the synaptic gap) as much as you can (hopefully you have high level of acetylcholine, dopamine and serotonin ~ all neurotransmitters associated with memory and learning), but also know that you may not 'get it' all at this point... And that is okay.  



No comments:

Post a Comment