Sunday, January 10, 2016

Just Say No?

Just Say No?
When I read through these modules on drugs, it's both amazing and scary!  I'm amazed that through modern medicine, I could have a basically painless birth experience (kudos to you women out there who choose the natural birthing route ~ you are far tougher than me!).  Or, that because of some psychoactive drugs people who suffer with severe mental health disorders are able to lead typical, fulfilling, productive lives that they may otherwise not have.  
As far as illicit drugs, I've also seen people who have managed to use drugs recreationally, quite frankly with very little negative consequences.  It doesn't rule or ruin their lives; they are extremely honest, friendly, intelligent, productive people.  Many are highly educated with really solid jobs. They look nothing like the scary people the DARE officers told me about in grade school.  
On the flip side, I can think of how illicit drugs have really negatively impacted some folks I know both personally and individuals I've worked with professionally.  It's ruined families; the effects of illicit drug use reach far beyond just the user.  Addiction can cause: kids grow up without parents, heartbroken parents watching their children self-destruct, spouses or partners at their wit's end questioning why the user loves the drug more than them.  
Socially, I feel the pull between thinking that people should have the right to use if they so choose, but also weighing the toll it takes on our society.  It seems silly that some drugs are deemed acceptable and legal (i.e. alcohol and nicotine), and that others, which arguably aren't really any worse are illegal (i.e. pot).  I think of the amount of money spent on housing non-violent offenders in prison because of drugs and how much revenue could be generated if some drugs were taxed.  And I can also appreciate how much money is spent in the social service system (such as foster care) because drug use does destroy some families.  Children are sometimes left in its destructive wake, and sometimes the effects are felt for generations.  
I don't know what the answer is, only that it certainly isn't a clear cut, back and white issue for me.  I definitely see our country getting more liberal about drug policies, as least when it comes to marijuana.  Hard to separate what is said for political reasons, and what is enacted for social reasons or public protection.  I guess only time will tell...   

These chapters remind me of two things:
1. My first oncology appointment.  The patient sitting next to me  in the waiting room had a strong marijuana odor following them.  I was initially taken aback... This was a doctors office.  Aren't you supposed to 'hide' that behavior?  Then, I made my way back to chemo row where they hooked me up and injected me with poison for 8 hours.  2 days later, I became violently ill, as my body was trying to fight off the poison it had just taken in to kill the cancer.  As I sat there, I thought about how this poison was legal and all the money being made off treating my illness and symptoms (cancer is big business y'all) and there is a natural product, that is relatively safe, that may help people with their symptoms that is inexpensive and it is illegal.  It didn't make sense.  It made me hurt thinking that some folks who could benefit from marijuana didn't get that option while they were fighting the horrific cancer battle.  I don't mean to sound all conspiracy theory, but I definitely felt like we had all been duped into thinking that marijuana is this horrible drug  (remember Just Say No from the 90's?)~ when in fact, it could potentially have some redeeming qualities medicinally.  
2.  When I got cancer, at the age of 36, my mom told me it was okay if I needed to "smoke the pot."  I still chuckle when I think about this conversation because a.) she felt the need to give me permission, even though I was 36 years old and b.) she called it 'the pot.'  

Later on, we will discuss Kohlberg's Level of Morality, which this debate ties nicely into.  Right before my vary eyes my mom went from the pre-conventional stage (don't smoke 'the pot' because if you get caught, you will get in trouble) and the conventional stage (you shouldn't smoke because it's illegal) to the post conventional stage (doing what is good for the person/community based on a personal set of beliefs).  For a psychology nerd and the daughter of a pretty straight-laced mother it was fascinating to see that change occur.  

Lastly, I can say, that it's been really interesting to see the shift of opinions I've gotten on this topic over the years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment