Friday, January 22, 2016

What's in a Word? A LOT!

Okay, we are all familiar with the F word... You know the word we aren't supposed to say, but we think in our head?  Obviously, I'm talking about the word flatulence (What?  That wasn't the word you were thinking of?). At the risk of sounding crass, I'm wanting to prove a point ~ there are just some words that aren't appropriate to use unless being discussed in a very specific way.  So, perhaps in a doctors office the word flatulence may be totally appropriate and simply describing a totally natural bodily function.  However, in a different context, say high-noon tea, cotillion, or a first date it would seem inappropriate (even offensive), right?  I want to take a quick moment to teach you about a few other words.

To be honest, I feel like the health teacher in 5th grade who delivered the puberty talk ~ it's a bit uncomfortable, but necessary.  Some of you may already know the information, but in the spirit of education, I feel it necessary to share, because let's be honest, if we don't know better, we can't do better. Some of you may know about these words and some of you may not, but I can't think of a more appropriate place to address it than a General Psych course.  Please know this is not meant to come down on anyone, I'm simply using the forum as a teaching moment that may not be addressed anywhere else.

I think we can all list examples of our language evolving.  I remember when 'ass' or 'bitch' was considered a bad word and never mentioned on TV.  Now, it's rather common place, even in prime time, network television shows.  Another example: 'negro.'  It was once an accepted part of speech, however after our language and culture have evolved we no longer use that term and even cringe when perhaps an older grandparent who doesn't know better still does (has anyone else experienced this??? RIP Grandpa!).  I have a cousin who is a genius.  She also happens to have cerebral palsy and is in a wheel chair.  My grandmother used to call her 'crippled.'  I think back about how offensive that term feels... But, my grandmother didn't know better.  In her day, 'cripple' may have been an acceptable way to describe someone who had a disability.  Now, we focus on people first language.  As time changes, our language changes.

Another word: Retarded (or retard). At one time, the word "retarded" was considered common place and even a diagnostic term to describe someone with limited intelligence.  Embarrassingly, I remember saying the word when I was a kid to describe something unpleasant or that I didn't agree with.  No one corrected me back then (perhaps they should have!) and it was a word that was pretty casually flung around.  However the word has grown to have a very negative connotation, meaning stupid and ignorant.  The connotation is so bad professionals no longer even use the word (people who were once labeled as retarded are now referred to individuals with an intellectual disability).  So, if you find the "retard" (or retarded) part of your vocabulary, change it.  I don't fault anyone who has used this word before, because you very well may not have known better.  I just wanted to use this platform to teach you better.  As students of psychology, we must hold ourselves to a higher standard that since now we know better, we must do better.

The same goes for the word "gay" if you are using it in a derogatory sense, such as "Don't be gay" (meaning don't be silly, weak, a term of disagreement) or "That's gay" (meaning you disagree with something or think it doesn't make sense).  Again, something I recall saying in my youth, and now cringe at the thought that those words ever came out of my mouth.  When I was younger, I honestly didn't know better... Now that I am aware of this, I choose to do better.  Please join me in doing the same.

The evolution of words is something that is constant in psychology.  I'm in the field, and honestly, I have trouble keeping up with the changes.  The goal of this practice is to take the stigma out of certain words.  "Retard" originally was a clinical term, but the stigma of it has taken over.  "Gay" is still an acceptable term, but only when used in it's correct context (such as describing sexual orientation).  Other terms that have evolved include: Dissociative Identity Disorder (once called multiple personality disorder) and Bipolar Disorder (once called manic-depression).

No comments:

Post a Comment