Sunday, January 10, 2016

Human Sexuality is Complicated...



Gender, Sex and Sexual Orientation
We have the scientific evidence, which is typically straight forward, but not always.  Then we often bring in our own spiritual beliefs, which are also often straight forward, but not always.  Put all that together and we can end up with quite a discussion.  Obviously, this is a science based class, so we will cover the science side of things.  Quite honestly, I don't always have the right answers on how to mesh the scientific facts with the 'spiritual' facts.  Good thing I'm not the one that has to figure that out!  Bottom line, no matter where you stand, I think we can all agree that EVERYONE deserves love and respect.  So, here's my disclaimer as we discuss this topic: I do have a bias on the subject.  I am a Christian, and I also fully believe that much of our sexual orientation is determined by our biology.  Obviously, things get pretty crazy messy interesting in my head when I try to make sense of it all.  I also respect that not everyone agrees with my beliefs on the subject.  

Also something to note: Belief perseverance, which we covered earlier, can play a huge role in how we accept new information and if we allow ourselves to critically evaluate the new information or if we are quick to disregard it because it doesn't support our initial thoughts on the topic.  There are so many dynamics to how we form our opinions.  In my opinion,  it's absolutely fascinating how complex human sexuality is, but also how each of us think about sexuality.  
Here is a great 4 minute video that explains the difference between sex, gender and sexual orientation.  I hope you find the video helpful.  
SOAP BOX WARNING!!  My biggest pet peeve is when people talk about sexuality and automatically jump to the physical aspects of a relationship.  There is SO much more to ALL romantic relationships than just the physical component.  When I think about my husband, there are tons of things that I love about him that aren't physical...  it's no different with any other couple, straight or gay.  When I hear chatter about sexuality, I think to myself "hearts, not parts".  I choose to focus on RELATIONSHIPS.  And from my perspective there can be all sorts of legitimate relationships.  


This certainly is a complex topic.  Made even more complex when we throw in theology, which can be difficult to filter out, if religion is something that is important to you.  In full disclosure, I will tell you that I am a Christian.  And, I believe the science that indeed sexual orientation does have a genetic component.  I think we can all agree it can be difficult when we believe in two things that don't match up.  I'm the first to admit that it's unsettling when things don't fall into tidy little boxes.  I'm not asking anyone to change their opinion on these topics.  But, what I do ask is that you read the evidence with an open mind.  
A few things I want you all to consider:
  • One's actions are not always consistent with their orientation.  Someone can be gay and "act" in a heterosexual way and vice versa.  This doesn't change their orientation, it's their behavior that is changing.  There are many factors that determine our behavior (drive, safety, culture, etc.).
  • We all have free will.  So, while we may not be able to choose our orientation, we can choose if we act on that attraction.  Example: We are sexual beings, but we can choose whether we engage in sexual behavior.  Whether or not we choose to engage in sexual behavior doesn't change the fact that we are still sexual beings. Our behavior is independent of our orientation.   
  • The science suggests that there is a strong likely hood that part of sexual orientation is biologically influenced (your text lists numerous examples).  That is not a judgment of if it is right or wrong.  It is simply a fact.  
There are lots of examples out there that show how genetics and environment interact.  
  • Let's look at cancer.  I have a gene (BRCA) that makes me more prone to get certain cancers than the general population.  My identical twin sister also has the same genetic mutation, yet I got breast cancer and she did not.  While we have the same DNA, something in my environment may have triggered my gene.  This gene also makes us more prone to skin cancer.  So, while I can't do anything to change my genetics, I can take action to reduce my risk of developing skin cancer by wearing sunscreen and protective clothing.  
  • Many people have an addictive personality.  They are just designed to be more susceptible to addiction and prone to impulse.  If someone with a genetic predisposition to addiction steers clear of alcohol or drugs, that genetic trait may not manifest (show) itself.  It's still there.  It just isn't as easily observed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment